Executive Coach & Facilitator
James has a background in investment banking and is passionate about creating real shift in his clients’ lives. He works with business leaders, entrepreneurs, founders and third sector CEOs on performance and leadership issues. His breadth of experience and exposure to people in different settings enrichens his approach, but consistently he finds one thing: organisations are simply a set of relationships, and building trust and followership requires similar qualities to nurture those relationships whether you run a team of 10 or 10,000.
- James’ approach integrates the best thinking from clinical, neural and behavioural sciences to provide a robust, academically-rigorous set of coaching protocols that delivers results. He has particular experience in helping busy people manage their energy levels so they show up brilliantly every day, where necessary using biodata to help individuals “reset” so they feel better, think more clearly, lead and execute better
- He applies breakthrough discoveries from neuroscience to his coaching work and has spent much of the last three years leading research into the brain at work with some of the world’s leading neuropsychologists. He is a member of The Association for Coaching, The Neuroleadership Institute (NLI) and a qualified practitioner of PRISM Brain Mapping
Areas of Specialty
- Behaviours - helping technical specialists transition into management roles, creating and unleashing teams, conflict resolution, self-presentation and developing EQ
- Relationships and influencing – using neuroscience and psychology to help building, inheriting and managing relationships, increasing awareness of self and others
- Energy, stress and performance coaching – inter-disciplinary research in cardiology, endocrinology, nutrition and neuroscience has led to structured programmes which help reset individuals’ physiologies so they show up brilliantly every day, feel better, think better and lead better. Approach is uniquely integrated with executive coaching
- New leader transition – First 100 /250 days, planning and execution
- Facilitation – highly experienced in helping teams resolve issues and find shared purpose
Educational and Coaching Qualifications
- B.Comm (Hons), Edinburgh
- MSc Finance (Dist.), Cass Business School (City University, London)
- Practicing license from Career Counselling Services (CCS)
- PG Cert Career and Talent Management, Kingston
- Neuroscience-based coach training with Prof. Paul Brown (Association for Coaching)
- Prism Brain Mapping and Brainwave Recursive Therapy (BWRT) Certified Practitioner
- Ph.D research with fellow from MacLean Hospital, Harvard on the neurobiology of stress
James started his career in the strategy division of Andersen Consulting in London and New York, working on a number of assignments for banks, telcos and FMCGs. He then moved to join JP Morgan’s equity business where he covered UK and US institutions selling the bank’s core European equity research product. A reasonably swift move through Dresdner Kleinwort Benson led him to head up the alternative equity product for BNP Paribas’ push into European hedge fund coverage.
So whilst he got to work for some big companies, he felt something was missing. Promptly ignoring advice from a career coach and a lifestyle he’d got too used to, he did a Masters in Finance at Cass and went back into the City joining HSBC’s real estate business, structuring big ticket financings for investment and development deals in the UK and Europe.
Leaving the City to bring up his children he afforded the space to honestly reflect on he wanted to be when he grew up, which it transpired was to work with and help people. He began retraining as a coach in 2009.